Sunday, May 13, 2012

A Moment of Pause

As I help my friends and family celebrate yet another Mother's Day, I take my usual moment of pause.  During this brief moment, I journey through my past, present, and future.  I ask myself important questions that I have asked so many times before. 

Who am I?  What am I doing?  Does what I am doing matter?  Is it the right thing for me?  Better yet, is it the right thing for others?  Am I fulfilling my purpose in life?

As a single woman who has no children, I wholeheartly support the institutions of family and marriage.  For many years I longed to have a family of my own.  While my desire to have my own children dissipates with age, for practical reasons, I have a burning ambition within to make an important difference in the lives of others.  I long to make my life count in the best possible way it was meant to be.  I never want to be accused of being an underachiever when it comes to using my life to make a difference in the lives of others.

For the past 11 years, I have been on a mission to not waste my life.  The road along this mission has been a winding pathway sometimes strewn with debris that entangles me.  Escaping this entanglement builds necessary strength and character.  I despise the entanglement yet marvel at the precious results that are visible sometimes only long after the escape.

I like my jouney.  I like that I have developed a passion for giving back even more than what has been handed to me.  I like that I have grown to have a fondness for the political process, that I have gained a vision for how I can impact health and poverty on a national and perhaps international level.

Yes, life is valuable.  Where I have been makes me who I am today.  And I am using the vision I have for my future to fuel the action plan that I execute today.  All of my resources are extended toward this process.  I have full confidence in a great return on investment.  There is no other option.

Everything counts. Every moment. Every throught. Every action. Every dollar.

The question then becomes not "Can I do more?" but rather "What more can I be doing?".